Tuesday, May 1, 2007

grocery shopping + starting stash

Went grocery shopping this afternoon with Jesse. Figuring out my food expenditures is a little more complicated because when I am here we tend to split food - so the list that follows is adjusted for that, to reflect only my portion of whatever he or I bought. Hopefully I can lay all this out there and then not have to do such a detailed list every day. (What Blogger needs is LJ-style cuts, we're going to have some long posts...)

Summary
Total bought today: 31.45
Total value of available food: 52.84

Bought today:

At Trader Joes:
eggs = my half was .50
plain yogurt = 1.99
cheddar cheese block = 2.18
marinara sauce = 2.29
black, white kidney, and garbanzo beans = 2.07
kidney beans (organic, it was all TJs had) = .89
sour cream = my half was .85
chocolate mint UFOs = 1.69
can of corn = .69
vegetarian deli slices = 1.99
shepherd's bread = 2.49
rice milk (all out of fortified soy, oh no!) = 2.69
frozen stir-fry veggies = my half was 1.00
potatoes = my half was 1.00
salsa = my half was 1.50
coconut milk = my half was .50
pasta = my half was 1.50

At Safeway:
lettuce = 1.00
cabbage = 1.28
tortillas = my half was 1.35
ice cream = my half was 2.00

Total purchased:

Already have:
3 servings of a bag of frosted mini-wheats = 1.00
part of a soy milk carton = .50
8 teabags = 1.00
6 Emer-Gen-C packets = 1.50
can of tomato soup = .89
butternut squash soup, partial container = 1.00
cheese = 2.50
tofu = 1.00
juice = 8.00 (here I am totally cheating - there is no room in the fridge here for another carton of juice, but we have a preponderance of frozen bottles of dumpstered Naked juice. so... I am going to cheat in the following manner - a 64 oz container of Naked juice will run you around 8.00 (and we have such a container) and I'll carefully monitor how much I consume.)
Thai green chile sauce base = 1.00
onions = 3.00
and various and sundry condiments, no specific value.

No comments: